CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 12, 2008

British Literature

In my British Literature class, my teacher gives us 25 vocabulary words a week. When we meet once a week, we have to be able to spell them correctly and give 5 definitions. Since I took her American Literature class last year, I knew what to expect. Or so I thought. In looking over the lists, my eyes kept meeting strange words. I didn't worry about it, because she is known to throw some weird words in the mix. Only later, during the test, did I realize that those strange words were FRENCH! And since I had studied how you might say them in English, I had no clue as to what the words were. Here are some of the French words I have encountered in the past weeks; cidevant, citoyen, morbleu, noblesse, sangfroid, soupcon, bonhomie, sobriquet, fait accompli etc...
When I first realized that they were French words, my first thoughts were, "wait, what class am I in? I am supposed in British Literature, not French. Ok, yes, I am in the right class. What is going on?!?" After mulling things over, I finally accepted that I am in BRITISH Literature class, and since we are going to encounter French words in our reading, we probably need to know a few French words. Yes, she has a method to her madness, but, COME ON! French words?!? In an English class?!?

Ok, I have said my piece. What do you think?

2 comments:

Emma said...

I think your teacher is crazy. :)
I like Mrs. Good's vocabulary better... collis, administro, arbor, spero, lunar.... all 50 of 'em. I think it's much more interesting.

Madie's Blog said...

Hi Kara! I have a blog now! See it when you can!! :)